What do I do? I make reality. Sounds big, and it is. As small as a bus stop or as big as an Air Force base, the goal is the same: represent the design as though it's already there. It comes in the form of the geometry, the context, the materials and lighting, the details and props and entourage, the heart and soul of the environment. Design Visualization is more than the construction drawings (or BIM model), it's taking the design and bringing it to life. Consider mood, emotion, timing and movement, figure out what is most important to the client and users of the project, and then put it on the screen. Determine what's needed and take it a step further. All in a day's work.
Andrew Valente has more than 16 years of experience in 3D modeling, rendering, and animation for architecture and engineering applications. Areas of expertise include: conceptual and full design computer modeling for architectural, site, and infrastructure development, image and photo manipulation, and full audio/video project development. Andrew can model or manipulate just about anything in 3D - buildings, bridges, bullet trains, battleships.
In addition to an education and professional experience in architectural design, Andrew has spent several years working for defense contractors as a military engineering design visualization specialist. Extensive understanding of the look and feel of military equipment are brought to bear on design projects requiring such elements.
Direct contact: Andrew Valente
- BA, Architecture, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1996
- 3D Studio Max
- Revit Architecture (Basic)
- Adobe Photoshop
- Poser (human modeling)
- Adobe Premiere Pro (video editing)
- Adobe Audition (audio recording and editing)
- Architectural and Engineering project design modeling
- Vehicle modeling (Sea, Land, Air)
- Human modeling, with animation rigging and basic animation
- Furniture, machinery, maintenance equipment, and all other prop modeling.
- Site, Civil, Roadway modeling
- Photo and image editing and manipulation
- Video editing
- Script writing
- Narration recording
- Audio editing
- CD labeling (inkjet printable CD)
- Professional framing and shipping
November 2005 – Present
- Provide 3D computer modeling, rendering, and animation support for contract and proposal work for architectural projects, located on US military bases, for multiple corporate office locations.
- Development of high detail 3D models of buildings, sitework and environment, and all necessary props (vehicles, furnishings, equipment, vegetation, and characters), textures and materials, and lighting schemes for general design, design-build, RFP illustration, and proposal efforts
- Script, narrate, and edit audio and video for 6 to 10 minute architectural videos used to convey design concepts and visualize project designs above and beyond construction drawings. Videos are used in an effort to gain congressional funding, facilitate contractor understanding at bid/proposal stage, and general marketing and client relations purposes.
- Coordinate printing, framing and delivery of architectural renderings to clients and project managers.
- Exercise graphic design principles in creation of CD-ROM labels and document covers for project submittals.
- Provide 2D and 3D computer graphics support for military Computer Based Training (CBT) projects
Military Systems Engineer
- General systems engineering support for design and placement of sensors, radar, and communications equipment onboard US Navy ships.
- Computer graphics support for the office, including scanning, photo editing and digital labeling, Adobe Acrobat file creation and editing, animations, conceptual renderings, and evaluation of proposed graphics software upgrades.
- Research and design of US Navy 3D computer (CAD) models for use in design visualization and electromagnetic (EM) engineering testing.
- Participated in field surveys of CVN, LHD, LHA, DDG, and T-AOE ship classes to photograph and measure superstructure and sensor/weapons locations for as-built 3D model and drawing updates.
- Creation and updating of US Navy ship drawings using Autocad.
- Conceptual design and implementation of advanced computer graphics projects for US Navy.
American Systems Corporation
- Creation of 3D models of US Navy ships based on 2D drawings, photos, and field measurements, esp. highly detailed topside arrangements for use in EM engineering testing and simulation.
- Creation of renderings and graphics for use in customer deliverables, executive briefs, and marketing materials. Participated in ship field surveys of DDG, AOE, LHD & LHA ship classes.
- Autocad drafting support for Antenna Systems Books, Proposed Ship Class Baseline Drawings, and Installation Record Drawings.
Pond & Company
- Duties included 3D architectural and engineering modeling and rendering, and Autocad drafting and support.